Saturday, July 05, 2008

The "Yellow Beast" rides again


As some of you remember, this fancy 1973 Chevy Impala was our family car when I was growing up. There are so many "fond" memories of adventures in this car. This car took us on many family vacations to Corn Growers Coventions and up north to visit our family friends. Before Kyle was born, Kim, Kraig and I would share the big backseat. In the days before seatbelt laws, Kraig would take his pillow and lay on the floor and sleep while Kim and I split the bench seat.
As my siblings and I grew up, we got the honor of driving this car. This was it, if you didn't want to drive this beast, you rode the bus. (Except for Kyle, he refused to drive it and got a truck. Funny how the youngest child gets out of it)
By the time we were old enough to drive, this car was not considered "cool". In fact the kids at Mt. Auburn had lots of nicknames for it. It has been known as "The Yellow Beast", "The Banana Boat", "The Yellow Bomb", and "Old Yeller".
Each one of us could probably tell you a great story about this car and I'm sure if this car could talk, it would have some good secrets to tell.
So why am I reminiscing about this old car? Well, believe it or not, it's coming back in all it's glory. Dad has been hanging on to this car with the hopes of having it restored one day. That day has finally come.
We've been joking amongst ourselves that Kim, Kraig and I should drive it in the Annual
Mt. Auburn Parade. What do you think?

1 comment:

Becky said...

I think that back seat used to hold like, seven or eight little girls, right? I can't believe the yellow beast is making a comeback!!