Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pros and Cons

There's a good chance that our family might be moving. I never thought I'd leave this little house, especially after all the hard work we did to make it our own. I really don't want to move because, and I say this with no apologies, my house is cute! I love this house. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's a 1920's bungalow. It has so much character and charm. It has beautiful, thick crown molding and base boards, real wood doors, an amazing glass built-in cabinet in the kitchen and built-ins in the hallway. So, if I love it so much, why are we thinking of moving? I am asking that question myself. However, I know that realistically, we can't live here forever. The house is simply not big enough for the size of family we want to have. We would have to move at some point and I keep telling myself that moving with one child will be easier than moving with 2 or 3.
The house we are seriously considering is in Mt. Zion.They have really good schools and we could send our kids to public school. If we stay here, Lucy would be attending Decatur Christian -we won't do Decatur Public Schools. This "new" house is in a really nice subdivision, but it doesn't look sterile like some of them do. There are well established trees and also the houses are not all cookie-cutter style homes. This home has an attached garage which is something we currently don't have. It also has laundry on the main floor where as now I have to go to the basement and it's getting harder to do as Lucy gets older. As she becomes mobile, I won't be able to leave her for a few minutes to go change out the washer. It has a nice covered deck and a big back yard. It also has a big kitchen. It's not really my style, but I can live with it for awhile till we can make some improvements. It has lots of counter and cabinet space which I am currently lacking.
The downside? It is a newer home and has the inexpensive trim and the hollow doors and it lacks history and character. Some of those things can be changed. I keep telling myself that. It's also a great time to buy a home. Interest rates are low and we can get more for our money at this time.

I guess I'm writing this and telling you this because in a sense it's like therapy. I'm probably never going to really be ready to move because of all the sentimental attachment I have to this house, and writing this helps me to convince myself that we're doing the right thing.

*I keep asking Dan if we can use this as a vacation home. He says No. *

We'll see, by the end of this week we have have a new house!

3 comments:

Abbie Johnson said...

wow! i hope you have good luck selling your house. we haven't even had one showing yet...i love my house too. i would take it with me if i could. but you'll love things about whatever new house you find too, especially more space

Becky said...

I hope you guys have luck selling in this market - - I was so relieved when ours sold. Just some food for thought - - there is a BEAUTIFUL Victorian right across the street from us in big ol' Blue Mound that probably will soon be for sale. It has a one car attached garage and three car detached garage. It is been fully restored and has a nice corner lot. You would probably get a good price on it because it is an unfortunate family situation. . . TEMPTED??

Anonymous said...

Yeah, don't tempt me. I would probably really like that house. But, I don't think I want to be in Blue Mound, that puts us even farther from our church and our church friends. It would be fun to be neighbors though!