This has been a rough week in the Niebrugge household. I am glad things are slowly returning to normal.
It all started last Thursday when I noticed that Lucy was coughing/choking while she was sleeping. It scared me to death. She'd cough and then it would sound like she was gasping for air. I checked on her every time and she seemed to be fine, but I called the doctor and made an appt. for the next day. So Friday I took her to see Dr. Newcome and I am glad I did. As it turned out, the doctor thought it sounded like she was starting to get the croup. The doctor gave a Rx for Lucy and she warned me that this medicine tasted especially awful. She suggested putting it in her bottle if we couldn't get her to take it straight. So I dropped off the Rx at Walgreens and asked to have it flavored, hoping that would help, and later that evening we began the task of getting Lucy to swallow the awful tasting medicine. This turned out to be a bigger trick than I bargined for. We had a syringe (did I spell that right?) that came with her medicine so we tried the tactic of squirting it in her mouth. Poor thing, she kept shuddering as she swallowed some of it. Most of it came rolling right back out her mouth. We decided that the next day we'd try putting it in her bottle. That didn't work either, she took a few drinks and realized that it tasted bad and then refused to take anymore. So we went back to trying to squirt it in her mouth. We just weren't having any luck. She'd get some down, but most would come running out the side. On Monday I called the doctor back because I knew Lucy wasn't getting a full dose and I didn't know what else to try. They decided to redose the medicine, which meant that we had to start all over again! UGH. I aslo asked if we could divide the dose - I thought maybe that might work- 3/4 of a tsp at one time was too much.
So what finally worked? We divided the dose into 1/4 tsp and gave it 3 times. I also mixed up some sugar water to squirt in her mouth after to help her swallow and get rid of the horrible medicine taste. She seemed to be ok with taking it that way and did much better with it after that.
I also got sick on Tuesday with what I think must have been a cold. But, it was the WORST cold I have ever had in my life. By Wed, I was worthless. Thank goodness Dan works from home on Wed, because he had to watch Lucy and take care of her most the day. My eyes watered so bad I looked like I was crying, my nose was running so bad that I couldn't do anything because I was blowing every 10 seconds and I also had a fever. At 3pm I crawled in bed and stayed there the rest of the night. I am happy to say that as of today, we are feeling almost back to normal. Dan caught the cold as well, but it hasn't knocked him out yet.
And in the midst of all this sickness there was Mother's Day. It was a pretty good day. We went to church and then headed to Springfield to go to Babies R Us, and then went to my sister's house that evening to spend time with the family. The evening ended abruptly when Griffin my 4 year old nephew got his hands caught in the treadmill while it was running. My sister has a nice finished basement and the kids were playing down there in the playroom while the adults were upstairs finishing their meal. We don't know exactly what happened but one of them got the key to the treadmill and turned it on and poor Griffin was caught. When we realized what was happening, all panic broke loose and people went flying thought the house to get downstairs. Luckily, Griffin still had all his fingers intact. He did have some pretty bad tread burns and he lost some skin from his fingers. Praise God is all I can say!
Whew! I could write more, but I'll save the rest for another post.
1 comment:
My goodness, Kitty - - you all have definitely not had a good week!
Post a Comment