Saturday, November 11, 2006

Where I've been


I've been MIA for a few weeks on here for a few reasons. 1. I didn't really have much to say, and 2. I've been painting and painting and did I mention painting.

Last Sunday, Dan helped me move everything out of our office so I could finally get around to painting it. It's the last room in the house that still looked exactly like it did when we bought the place. So I started on Sunday with cleaning the walls and woodwork and then I got everything primed. On Monday I was able to paint all the trim and it only took me 5 HOURS!!! Ugh. Then on Tuesday I had to do it all again because 1 coat of paint was just not going to do it. So finally on Wednesday I was able to put paint on the walls and then I had to give it all a 2nd coat on Thursday. I was so glad to get the room done. It was a big job for one person, but I really like the way it turned out. It feels so much better in there. Here are some before and after shots.



I did the walls in two colors. A light blue -gray on top and then one shade darker on the bottom. The chair rail was already there, but it had been painted the same as the walls before and it wasn't really noticeable. We are also planning on getting our radiator cover professionally redone and it'll be white. Right now it's a reddish brown and it's in bad shape. We have shelves on one wall that we decided to live with because they aren't coming down without damaging the plaster walls. So Dan is going to make doors for it and they'll match the other doors that are on other built-ins.

Some of you reading this might wonder why we painted over the woodwork. Well, even though it doesn't look bad in the picture, it really wasn't in the best shape. At some point during the 50's or 60's the homeowners stripped the original woodwork and gave it a "pickled" finish. I personally don't like that finish and some of the woodwork in the house had already been painted, so we update the feel by painting all the woodwork white.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

will Dan hire you out?

Kristin said...

Yes, but it'll cost you...